Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Miss New Mexico







When my father remarried, the newlyweds decided to move to Lake Tahoe. As a new family, we took a road trip from Texas to Nevada in a moving van, a really cool 1980's van with carpet and captain's chairs and a car. My Dad recruited his new father in law and a friend to help out, so off we went; 4 adults, 3 kids and 3 vehicles. Along the way we stopped in New Mexico. I was fascinated with all the turquoise jewelry for sale. I desperately wanted a chunky necklace or bracelet as a souvenir; I settled on a modest ring to fit my budget. Ever since, I have loved, loved turquoise jewelry. When I saw these turquoise beads last summer, I had to have them. I also really love the combination of all shades of blue with all shades of brown. I found the penny rounds with a hint of blue and brown just recently at a local tile store who was discounting unused merchandise. This dress pulls them all together. I feel as though the turquoise beads at the waist do get a little overwhelmed with the pattern on the dress and their placement, but hope that the viewer will take the time to enjoy the piece with several visits. I want the viewer to discover the turquoise beads sort of as a pleasent surprise and as the part that pulls all the other parts together.



No comments:

Post a Comment