Monday, May 17, 2010

The fun part...










Sometimes the work behind the scenes isn't so pretty. I love to publish posts that show a finished piece, all polished and ready for the gallery. But there is a lot, lot of work that goes before the piece is ready. I am getting ready for two shows currently, one in Bermuda and one in Aspen. I am experimenting with a smaller bust and learning my way around working on a smaller form for Aspen. It really effects what kind of tile you can use and how the I can 'handle' the piece as I work it. For Bermuda, I am prepping all my pieces, since assembly here is unreasonable with shipping. I pre-cut all the tile, I have concreted the styrofoam busts and am gathering all my materials and instruments to take with me. In these photos, you can see how I lay out the plates, beads, tiles to get a sense of how they will look together and what kind of dress design I will attempt. Sometimes I will also sketch out my ideas, I will do this for Bermuda since there will be so many pieces to complete and so many materials to bring. I don't want to forget anything! This is also my favorite part of each piece- the designing. I love laying the materials out and looking at different combinations. Sometimes how I start out to complete a piece isn't how it finishes up. The process can be a little more experimental and organic at that point. For instance, I layed out tile last week that included using a black bead interspersed through out the skirt on the dress- then forgot to include them! Organic or blonde- you decide!

No comments:

Post a Comment