Monday, November 5, 2012

Gallery Highlight- BlueStone Gallery, Philadelphia, PA




My sculptures alongside the many wonderful artists BlueStone represents
One of the many pleasures I enjoy as an artist are the relationships I have become a part of in the gallery world.  Pam Regan of BlueStone Gallery has become a friend and art confidant.  She offers complete professionalism and represents my work with enthusiasm.  Please see her comments below about how she started her gallery and what the gallery means to her as a business owner.  I delight in showing my work with such a person.  
Left to Right- Pam Regan, Erin Humphreys of Philadelpha Style Magazine and myself
Pam Regan, BlueStone Gallery, Philadelphia, PA

'I got started in the art gallery business soon after my sister lost a short 18 month fight with breast cancer.  My sister, Martha and I were very close.  We were both school teachers and after she died, I didn’t want to return to the classroom.  So, starting the gallery was actually my husband’s idea.  We have a few original works of art, and I’ve always kept a list of artists that I would like to add to my collection. 
I started by looking for a gallery location in Old City, Philadelphia.  Old City is where we came regularly to visit galleries.  Once I found the right location, I started contacting artists from my wish list.  In my eyes, it was kind of like contacting celebrities.  However, everyone was so welcoming and supportive. 
While all of this foundation was in the works, I read everything I could about running a art gallery.  It is a known fact that 85% of all new galleries don’t celebrate a two year anniversary.  Our two year anniversary is May 2013. 
My gallery is best known for being approachable.  We strive to have a warm environment with artwork at numerous price points.  We work with the established collector to the first time buyer. 
Bluestone opened during an already well established economic slump.  I knew that the art world was hurting financially.  My plan has been to learn and establish my gallery during this slow period.  So when the economy turns around, I’ll know my stuff and be ready to fully represent the artist who has joined me on this journey.
One thing that I find discouraging in the art world is that many people don’t value original art.  They will buy $100 pair of jeans, but not a $100 painting.  They will buy a 1.5 million dollar house, hire an interior decorator, and fill it with wall hangings from the local discount store.  Artwork, like jewelry or fine china can be handed down from generation to generation. 
Shelly, the comments I receive about your sculptures are always amazing.  People are very open with their thoughts on if a work of art is good or not.  And, I’ve never heard a discouraging word about your sculptures.  I think this is because your sculptures are like nothing they have seen.'  


No comments:

Post a Comment